Author Topic: Classroom A  (Read 1546 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Classroom A
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 04:07:39 am »
Back To Drums

One thing I like to do is if there is a melodic element in an MV0 file - to make a mini keyboard out of it and then it's all about melody/variation. This can be a big help as when you start on drums, you need to really kick start your imagination otherwise your drums might all sound the same. You can SMT. If you import multiple drums - then you can switch out and switch in very quickly.

Once you've drums you can then add vocals - not always lyrics. Just something that sits with the drums and gives you more ideas. There's no wrong thing in experimenting and finding what works for you. The way that I improved wasn't by practice. It was by realizing that when you push the technicalities aside - the most important thing is still feel IE - does it fit in with the music. Lots of people find a busy loop and say they want a more simple loop.

Take a busy loop and paste it in a DAW. Go into piano roll - and understand that to simplify something busy, you have to just remove things. That's it. In a non destructive way obviously and there you have to discern that. But have fun with it. It's the fear of making mistakes etc that stop people learning and it's the realization of things, that is freeing. Our skill sets will be different. That's why we should celebrate our differences because it's something I can learn and that you can teach or vise versa.

So the key is the development of feel and over coming the oppression we put on ourselves when we don't trust ourselves to work it out for ourselves. So now I can say that I'm not the best drummer but I get the feel right and feel is king.

If you import multiple drum kits - you can of course change a part assigned to a pad - for any other sample from the important drum kits. The great way about working this way is that it's not completely logical in 2016 - but it get's you thinking of ways to be creative

You could add FX - internal or external. Resample if needs be. It's a quick process so not a pain in the ass.

I tend to start Kick and snare but there isn't a right or wrong way and if you keep remembering that, then that will help you also because if you keep doing the same thing then it will become a habit.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 04:18:01 am »
My folder

I bought this folder last week and in it, i'm going to post things gathered from other forums. Hints and tips and such. That's one aspect. I recommend that to everyone because if you organize things right - it's very handy. You don't have to worry about book marks - or what forum was that on or even does that post exist anymore!? Another reason is manuals are important - but not every page. So taking things from manuals can save a lot of time and it's good to have everything to hand. Not just for the MV but for all devices.

Another cool thing is having a section say of set up instructions for various equipment so that you don't forget and you have reference because it can be a pain in the ass if you are disorganized (like I am!)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:48 am »
Back to voice Sampling

Sampling the voice on the MV is great! Especially coming from a pc background where I always experienced noise on the vocals. This is kinda obvious but don't forget to manipulate your voice. There are so many different tones we can get out of a voice by putting on accents . It leads to lots of experimentation and lots of interesting routes to go down. Was just doing a vocal exercise to extend vocal chord - (brett mannings stuff 'singing success') is very good actually. He's a bit of a douche but if you can get past the boy band wannabe image - it adds so much. And when you extend your vocals - sample them. Your voice whether you like it or not - is the most expressive part of you because you can manipulate at will. Again, it don't matter if you don't like what you sound like - you can always mess with it to create something else.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »
Bass Switching

Using the SMT we can switch sounds by velocity etc. So when we layer, we can layer to make something bigger or we can switch sounds out once a velocity has been met. So we can have single/dual or multiple sounds switching if we wanted too. So we can think of SMT also as the relationship between sounds. For example perhaps over a certain velocity, a second bass starts up with a pad. Even if you don't layer, it keeps things interesting because it adds to the variation. The trick is not to over do something.

As long as the maths is right and the sounds are good - you can't really go wrong. You could sample yourself making a low rumbling noise. Add that to the SMT table. The SMT Table can be useful for so many things and the cool thing is it gets you thinking about things to try - which is how it should be.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:31 am »
Thinking Rhythm

Hope everyone is well!  So this post is for people (like I was) that struggled with drums.

So let's say you make a 16 bar loop and it's playing. One thing you can do is tap a beat out on the table say, with your finger because the most important thing is feel. More important then the drum set you use etc. Once you've got the feel down, then you can switch out the sounds. So if you are uncomfortable - and this is really aimed at beginners. Often the best way out is to try something new. It just goes to show how important it is to think not automatically about the song you look to create - but about the 'feel' of the music you are trying to create.

Drums used to baffled me but when I started I used electronic drums because then my focus was on something sounding tight. There wasn't any organic order to things. When you do acoustic, you have to consider authenticity. Would this sound really play like that etc? Not vital to the song but vital to people who would know you are no drummer. Having said all this, there are no right or wrong paths to take. Just what works for you. However, its also good to continue to grow your styles - if only to open up to feel.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:09:16 am by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »
Drums Too Busy

After a long break we go to a topic that's relevant to everyone and I talk about them a lot. When you have a busy drum track, the easiest thing is to subtract. Subtraction creates variation while maintaining the DNA of the original beat. Feel or rhythm is the most important thing. Swing is humanization. If inputting drums manually, Quantizing in the right notes. Can spread it out if Midi and change instruments. Mute and solo. So remember if too busy, think subtraction for variation.

DOKbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:36 am »
does anyone happen to know the shortcut to close all tabs ?